Read with Me!
Online on Zoom. Virtual until otherwise noted.
Register children, independent readers, for a 15 minute time slot, and to receive a link to this online event. Just you, your child the dog /owner team, and Ms. Karen.
You will receive the Zoom link in your email on Monday before the event start time. When you click on the link, you will be in an online waiting room until admitted. Ms. Karen will introduce your child to the dog/owner and then will "leave the room" by blanking the screen, but she is really still there. Your child will read a book from your personal book shelf or library bag to the owner/dog team. When time is up, Ms. Karen will come back onto the screen to say goodbye, remove your device from the program, and admit the next child.
- Register to attend (Please read this letter)
- Have a book ready that you will read to the dog / owner team (we provide the dog, you provide the book)
- Read for about 15 minutes
The program improves children’s reading and communication skills by employing a powerful method: reading to a therapy animal. But not just any animal. Dogs on Call teams are registered therapy animals that volunteer with their handler going to schools, libraries, and many other settings as reading companions for children. Learning to read is often less about intellectual limitation than about overcoming fears. Animals are ideal reading companions because they:
- Help increase relaxation and lower blood pressure.
- Listen attentively.
- Do not laugh, judge, or criticize.
- Allow children to proceed at their own pace.
- Are less intimidating than peers.